Roast brill with puy lentils & shiitake mushrooms
by Chris D’Sylva
- 250g puy lentils
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 140g shiitake mushroom, quartered
- 250g pack cherry or plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed
- 150ml white wine
- 4 x brill (or any other white fish like cod) fillets, skinned - about 140-175g/5-6oz each
- 1 small lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 140g baby spinach leaves
Heat oven to 200C/fan oven 180C/gas mark 6. Tip the lentils into a pan, and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 15-20 mins until they are tender. Drain and keep to one side.
Fry the shallots in half the oil in a shallow roasting tray on top of the hob, until softened. Increase the heat and add the mushrooms. Cook for a couple of minutes, until they are colouring around the edges. Remove the tray from the heat, then stir in the cooked lentils, halved tomatoes, capers and wine.
Sit the fish on the lentils then top with a couple of slices of lemon and drizzle over the remaining oil. Season everything with flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast for 15 mins – until the fish is cooked through and beginning to go golden on top.
Gently lift fish from the tray. Stir the parsley and spinach into lentils, until the spinach starts to wilt. Spoon onto 4 plates, sit the fish on top and serve.